Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Fillet steak on sauteed sweet potatoes with grilled goats cheese starter
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
This is a starter to really impress. Deceptively easy to make and guaranteed to be an instant favorite. Excellent with a group of friends or the perfect start to a special romantic evening.
- 1-2 sweet potatoes (larger are better)
- Fillet steak (2 small pieces medium-thick)
- 30g goats cheese
- olive oil
- knob of butter (unsalted)
- Parsley to garnish
- Sea salt / cracked black pepper to season
- STEP 1Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into slices 1cm thick. Place in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes (or until softened) and then transfer into cold water and allow to cool.
- STEP 2Pan sear the fillet steaks over a high heat to taste. I recommend medium-rare (2 minutes per side for medium thickness steak) and then leave to rest for 5 minutes to ensure the juices are reabsorbed.
- STEP 3Whilst the steaks cook, sautee the cooled potatoes for 8 minutes in a large pan of olive oil and butter over a high heat. Turn half way through and they should have browned. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- STEP 4Layer the potatoes to form a base on the plate. The steak can then rest on top. Top the steak with a generous portion of goats cheese and grill the dish for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is softened.
- STEP 5Garnish with a spring of parsley and serve.