Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Classic Victoria Sponge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
It has taken quite a while to find the perfect sponge recipe. Either cakes turn out too stiff and heavy with very little rise or are too crumbly. The recipe bellow has been perfected by combining several different methodologies and recipes to create a cake that rises perfectly, is light and moist. This recipe can be used for Victoria Sponges, chocolate cakes and lemon drizzle cakes. note: it is important that this recipe is mixed by hand!
For the Sponge
- 175g of Caster Sugar
- 175g of Stork
- 3 eggs
- 175g of Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1stp of Baking powder
- 1tsp of White Vinegar
For the Filling
- Good Quality Raspberry Jam
- 75g Butter (Unsalted)
- 175g Icing Sugar
- tsp Vanilla Essence
Icing Sugar for Dusting
- Icing Sugar for Dusting
- STEP 1In a large mixing bowl cream the sugar and stork until pale.
- STEP 2One at a time mix in the the three eggs.
- STEP 3Sieve half of the flour into the mixture and fold in using a metal spoon. Once the flour has been folded in sieve the remaining flour and fold into the mixture.
- STEP 4In a small cup combine the baking soda, baking powder and white vinegar so that it fizzes then pour and stir into the mixture.
- STEP 5Split the mixture between two sandwich tins and bake for 30-35 minutes in the oven at 130c until golden in colour and the sponge springs back when lightly tapped.
- STEP 6Allow the cakes to cool slightly and then remove from the tins and place on a rack to cool completely.
- STEP 7Once the cakes have cooled you can begin to make the butter cream filling. Cream the butter in bowl until soft, and then add the icing sugar and vanilla essence until it reaches a constancy that can spread on the cakes.
- STEP 8Position one of the cakes on a board or cake stand and smother the top with the butter cream.
- STEP 9Next, spread an even layer of jam over the butter cream and sandwich the two cakes together by placing the remaining cake on top of the other.
- STEP 10Finish the cake by dusting lightly with icing sugar.