Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Baby friendly butternut squash risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Simple and delicious vegetarian butternut squash risotto - suitable for all the family, and perfect for baby led weaning! Makes 2 adult and 2 toddler sized portions.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 medium onion
- 800ml vegetable stock (we use Heinz Cook at Home stock cubes - suitable for babies from 4+ months)
- 150g risotto rice (we use carnaroli)
- Tbsp olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- Tsp mixed herbs
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pepper - to taste
- Grated cheese to serve
- STEP 1Cut the butternut squash into cubes and place in a large pan. Pour in enough stock to cover the cubes (should be roughly a third of the stock) and simmer for 20 minutes or until the cubes are soft and most of the stock has been absorbed.
- STEP 2When the butternut squash cubes are half way through cooking, dice the onion and place in a large frying pan with the olive oil. Fry gently for 5 minutes until the onions become soft and transparent but not too browned.
- STEP 3Add the butter, garlic, mixed herbs and nutmeg and stir thoroughly for 2 minutes on a low heat.
- STEP 4Add the risotto rice to the frying pan and stir thoroughly again for 2 minutes on a low heat to coat the rice.
- STEP 5Add the butternut squash cubes to the frying pan and stir thoroughly again, then start to add a ladle full of the remaining stock to the rice mixture.
- STEP 6Stir the mixture as you go, letting the rice absorb most of the stock before you add another ladle full. Depending on how much stock was used for the butternut squash cubes, you may need to add a couple of ladles of hot water to get the right consistency and to make sure that the rice is fully cooked. This should take about 25 minutes on a medium heat. The risotto should be a creamy consistency, similar to thick soup. The rice should be slightly al dente, although you may want to cook it a little more for babies/toddlers so that it is easier to chew.
- STEP 7Add pepper to taste and a sprinkle of grated cheese to serve (we like cheddar or vegetarian Parmesan). The risotto can also be rolled into small balls which are easier for little fingers to handle. Enjoy!