Chocolaty Orange Sponge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 10-20 mins cooling time
- More effort
- Serves 12
Incredibly moist chocolaty orange goodness that will melt in your mouth.
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self raising Flour
- 175g Softened un-salted butter
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 small orange zested and juiced
- 2 - 3 bars of plain milk chocolate depending on individual taste
- 1 tub of clotted cream
- icing sugar to coat
- STEP 1pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 (180%)
- STEP 2grease 2 x 3cm cake tins.
- STEP 3crack 3 eggs into a cup and beat until smooth.
- STEP 4cream together caster sugar and butter until you get a smooth consistency then add in the eggs and whisk.
- STEP 5slowly sieve in the self raising flour while whisking all the time. (can use a wooden spoon) if you have little lumps in your mixture just keep mixing or whisking they will disappear. Once you have a smooth consistency put to one side.
- STEP 6melt your chocolate over a small pan of boiling water and zest and juice your orange.
- STEP 7add in the juice, zest and chocolate into your cake mixture and blend together. separate the mixture evenly into your cake tins and cook for about 20 mins. keep an eye on its progress and take out as it is just and just cooked.
- STEP 8leave to cool for 3 mins in the tins as they need time to firm up a bit. take cakes out of tins and leave to cool for 10-20mins then spread your clotted cream onto one half and add the other cake on top and sprinkle with icing sugar.