Hearty Chicken & Leek Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 3
Flavoursome and hearty soup, great for an autumn/winter's evening supper. Serve with warm crusty bread or garlic bread.
- 2 whole chicken breasts (about 300g)
- 2 medium leeks
- 1 small bulb of garlic
- 900ml boiling water
- 2 x Knorr vegetable stock pots
- Cracked black pepper & sea salt
- Mild olive oil
- 0.5-1 tsp dried tarragon (optional)
- Half a lemon
- STEP 1Warm oven to 200C
- STEP 2Slice top of the garlic bulb and place in a foil envelope. Drizzle with little olive oil and bit of salt & pepper. Close foil and place in warm oven. Cook for about 35 minutes. Once cooked set aside to cool slightly and then squeeze out the garlic from the bulbs.
- STEP 3While the garlic is cooking, prepare your chicken breasts (keep whole) in an oven proof dish with little olive oil and seasoning. Cook for about 15-20 minutes depending on their size (you want them so just cooked; nice and tender with no browning). Remove from oven and let meat rest. Slice chicken or break up with fingers so the pieces of chicken are to your own preference.
- STEP 4Place the two stock pots into a jug and add 900ml of boiling water. After about 5 minutes give a good stir with a fork so the stock pot has blended with the water to leave a nice vegetable stock.
- STEP 5With the leeks, you want to cut off the dark green part and discard. You should be left with the white and light green part of the leek. Cut the ends and slice down the centre long ways. Keep the two halves together and then slice in the other direction. Place in a collender, break leeks up and wash.
- STEP 6Lightly warm a deep wide saucepan with little olive oil and add the sliced leeks. Stir for a few minutes over a medium heat.
- STEP 7Go back to your stock and give another stir. Then pour about 200-250ml of stock in with the leeks so they are just covered (this will depend on the size pan you are using). Simmer for about 5-7 minutes until leeks are soft.
- STEP 8Once items are cooked accordingly, you are ready to build your soup. Place in a blender, two thirds of the leeks in stock, roasted garlic, about one third of the cooked chicken and about 500ml of stock. Blend until smooth (if needed add more stock accordingly).
- STEP 9Add the blended mixture back into your saucepan with the remaining leeks and rest of the chicken. Warm through. According to your preference of thickness, add the remaining stock.
- STEP 10Sqeeze the juice of half the lemon into the soup, add the tarragon (if using) and stir.
- STEP 11Taste and add more seasoning according to your own preference. (Hopefully you should not require any further salt because the knorr stock pots have plenty of flavour)
- STEP 12Pour into bowls and serve with warm crusty bread