Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Kangaroo Steaks in Red Wine Sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- overnight marinating in fridge - or 2 hours minimum
- More effort
- Serves 4
Juicy tender steaks (sliced) in rich creamy sauce
- 500g loin kangaroo fillet or 4 kangaroo fillet steaks
- 1 cup good-quality dry red wine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup cream
- STEP 1Combine wine, chives, garlic and onion in bowl. Add kangaroo meat, toss until coated. cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove meat from marinade, drain. Reserve marinade.
- STEP 2Heat oil in pan; add meat. Cook over high heat 2 minutes to seal sides, turning. For rare meat, cook 2 more minutes. For medium meat, reduce heat to medium, continue cooking for 3 minutes. (If using steaks cook for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally.) **Note: Kangaroo meat has a very low fat content and will become dry if overcooked. Cook it to rare or medium stage only and leave for a few minutes before serving. This will produce tender, juicy kangaroo meat.**
- STEP 3Remove meat from pan. Cover and keep warm. Add reserved marinade and cream to pan juices, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 3 minutes or until sauce has reduced and thickened. Return meat to heated sauce in pan if further cooking/warming required - do not re-fry or heat in microwave!!
- STEP 4Slice cooked fillets thinly and serve with warm sauce. Suggestion: Serve with mashed (or crushed sweet) potato and fresh vegetables