Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Marion's Cherry Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
This a delicious cherry-filled, Madeira-like cake. The cherries add moisture to the cake and a few teaspoons of almond extract would be a welcome addition. You can also replace 25g of flour with 25g of ground almonds instead, which will add flavour and a bit more texture.
- 4 oz / 110g caster sugar
- 4 oz / 110g butter
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz / 225g self-raising flour
- 3 oz / 100g glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- STEP 1Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- STEP 2Beat in the eggs, ( one at a time). If the mixture starts to curdle (separate) sift in a tablespoon of flour.
- STEP 3Sift in the flour and fold in the cherries.
- STEP 4Pour the mixture into a lined and greased rectangular loaf tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 160C/180C fan, until golden brown and cooked through. You can tell if the cake is cooked through properly by inserting a skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean it is cooked.