Lentil and Chorizo Soup
Member recipe by gazleaney
A tasty, filling soup with a subtle smoky flavour, perfect for autumn!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 100g chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 50ml water
- 200g red lentils
- 1 litre water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, celery, chorizo and fry gently for a few minutes.
- When the vegetables begin to soften, reduce the heat. Add the garlic, cumin, chilli and water. Cook the ingredients gently for 10 minutes until soft. (To increase the flavour, try dry-frying the cumin seeds for a few minutes before adding them to the soup).
- Add the lentils, water and stock cubes. Turn up the heat, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. For a more 'rustic' soup, serve as it is. Or use a blender to liquidize the soup for a smooth consistency.