Beef and Ale Stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This is a classic in our family passed down from my grandmother during WWII but with my addition of the ale. Simple, healthy and VERY tasty.
- 1 lb Shin of Beef
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 small Swede
- 1 Turnip
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Beef OXO cube + 1/2 pint of boiling water
- 1/4 pint good ale
- STEP 1Sweat chopped onion in a large non-stick saucepan with a little oil for a few minutes. Remove the onion and reserve for later.
- STEP 2Cut the steak into large cubes (1 - 1 1/2 Inch) and seal with plain flower, salt and pepper. This is best done by putting 2-3 tbsp flour, a good pinch of salt and some ground black pepper in a sandwich bag and placing a few cubes of beef at a time in the bag then shaking it. Once all beef is coated, place all the beef in the saucepan with a little more oil to brown. Stir constantly until all the beef is browned off.
- STEP 3Once all the beef is browned, add the cooked onion back to the pan with the diced vegetables, stock and ale. Stir thoroughly scraping any juices and flour off the bottom of the saucepan.
- STEP 4Bring to the boil then simmer very gently for 3 hours, stirring thoroughly every 30 minutes or so. After 3 hours the stew should be very thick and all the turnip should have dissolved into the gravy. The swede and carrot should still be very evident.
- STEP 5Serve up with plenty of buttery mashed potato, peas, green beans etc and enjoy.