Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Lemon Layer Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Wait at least 45 minutes for the cake to cool before icing
- More effort
- Serves 8
A tangy, smooth exotic cake which tickles your taste buds. (In the photo you should have white icing but feel free to experiment!)
For the Cakes:
- 1 Lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g soft margarine
- 225g caster sugar
For the lemon curd filling:
- 2 medium eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 50g unsalted butter
For the lemon icing:
- 1 lemon
- 125g icing sugar
- Also you will need three 20cm round, shallow cake tins.
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C for a fan oven.
- STEP 2Grease and line 3 tins. Then grate the rind of a lemon and then juice the lemon.
- STEP 3Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the margarine and sugar. Break the eggs into a cup and beat them in too.
- STEP 4Stir in the lemon juice and rind. Split the mixture between the tins and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool.
- STEP 5For the filling, break the eggs into a heatproof bowl and beat them. Add the sugar, lemon rind and the juice of a lemon.
- STEP 6Cut the butter into chunks and add them. Put 5cm water into a pan. Heat until it bubbles. Put the bowl into the pan.
- STEP 7Stir the mixture as it thickens. After 20 minutes, the mixture should coat the back of a spoon. (If not carry on heating) Take the pan off the heat.
- STEP 8Spread a cake with half of the filling. Put another cake on top. Spread the rest of the filling over that cake. Put the final cake on top. Don't worry if some filling oozes out.
- STEP 9Grate the rind of a lemon. Use a zester if you have one. For the icing, squeeze the juice from half of the lemon. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- STEP 10Stir the lemon juice into the icing until it is smooth. Spread the icing over the cake. Sprinkle the rind on top of the cake and enjoy :)