Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Giant Jaffa Cakes ( makes two)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1 hour chilling time
- More effort
- Serves 12
Great for Parties!
For the cakes
- 2 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour, sieved
For the filling
- 1 x 135g packet of orange jelly
- 1 tablespoon marmalade
- 125ml boiling water
- 150g chocolate, broken into pieces
- STEP 1Preheat oven 180 C
- STEP 2Start by making the cake base,
- STEP 3bring a little water to the boil in a pan, then reduce the heat until the water is simmering. Suspend a heatproof bowl over the water but don't let the bowl touch the water or the egg
- STEP 4Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl and beat continuously until the mixture is pale, fluffy and well combined.this should take approx five minutes, then add the flour and beat until you have a smooth batter
- STEP 5Divide mixture between two greased 7 inch Victoria sponge cake tins and bake in the oven until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then gently release from the tin, replace it back into the tin for later,
- STEP 6While the cake is baking make the jelly, melt the jelly with a tablespoon of marmalade and the boiling water and pour into a shallow tray lined with cling film. When cool place in the fridge to set.
- STEP 7Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over barley simmering water ( the same as for the cake base)
- STEP 8Now time to assemble your cake, cut a disk of set jelly about an inch smaller than your cake base and place on top of your sponge, then quickly pour over your melted chocolate and spread to the edges, you have to be quite quick with this so the jelly doesn't melt,
- STEP 9Place in the fridge for about 15 mins and the giant Jaffa Cake should be ready to take out of the tin and placed on a plate.... Enjoy!