Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Makes Pie
Open top strawberry and Rhubarb tart
For the dough:
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 6 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 6 cups strawberries, halved
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- STEP 1Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse the mixture several times to combine.
- STEP 2Add the cold butter and pulse again for about 30 seconds.
- STEP 3Add the shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in the water and mix until the dough is moistened.
- STEP 4Turn the dough out into a large bowl and use piece and 1/3 for the other. Wrap each piece separately in plastic wrap, pressing down to form a disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- STEP 5Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly until some of the juices from the fruit are released. Set aside.
- STEP 6Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly oil the pie dish.
- STEP 7Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the larger piece of dough into a piece to cover the preprepared pie plate.
- STEP 8On a baking sheet that will fit into the freezer and dusted with flour, roll the remaining piece of dough into a rectangle. Trim the rough edges. Cut the rectangle into 12 (13"long) strips, then place the pan in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- STEP 9Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined pan in an even layer. Lay the dough strips on top of the fruit in a lattice pattern. Use your fingers to pinch the edges of the dough strips and the bottom dough layer together. Sprinkle the top of the pie with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- STEP 10Bake the pie on the second to lowest rack position of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the pastry is golden. Cool the pie to allow the filling to gel, then serve