Pork Stew with Star Anise
Member recipe by Aaron Goodall
- 500g Pork shoulder
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- 1 Parsnip, sliced
- Half a swede, cubed
- 1 Good quality chicken stock cube
- 1 Glass of dry white wine
- 1 Anise star
- 3 Bay leaves
- Half a tsp of dried sage or a spig of fresh
- A good shake of paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- Brown the pork in a fireproof casserole dish or large saucepan. Its best to do this in two batches so it browns rather than braises.
- Add the onion to all the pork and fry it all until the onions are translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce heat to a minimum, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When theres half an hour to go give it a taste and season if needed. If the stew looks too watery at this point, leave the lid off so that it can reduce to your desired consistency. Be careful not to let it dry out when doing this.
- Serve with your prefered carb. I like to have it with some buttery mash!