Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Sardine & Tomato sauce toasty
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 1
A inexpensive, tasty, nutritious quick lunch, breakfast or snack.
- 1 Tin (155g) Sardines or Pilchards in Tomatoe Sauce
- 2 Slices of medium sliced bread (white is best)
Butter for spreading
- Optional additions
- Large pinch Cumin, Smoked Paprika or Oregano.
- STEP 1Put a dry frying pan on a medium to high heat
- STEP 2Tip Sardines or pilchards with sauce into a small pan & put on a low heat. Just to warm. Do not boil
- STEP 3Butter well the slices of bread. Then put one slice butter side down into the frying pan, it should sizzle.
- STEP 4Add either of the optional ingredients now to the sardines if using.
- STEP 5When the slice of bread is coloured to your liking, (some chard spots adds flavour). Put second slice of bread butter side up on top of it then carefully turn the two slices over and fry the other side until same colour.
- STEP 6Place fried bread on a plate. Lift off the top slice & spoon the sardines & sauce onto the bottom slice. Replace the top slice. Serve with hot mango pickle ( My favourite), ketchup or mayo