Crispy Root Vegetable Crisps
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 1
healthy crisps, super refreshing!
- Canola oil
1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
6-7 root vegetables (such as: rutabaga, gold beets, red beets, small celery root)
- 6-7 root vegetables (such as: rutabaga, gold beets, red beets, small celery root)
- STEP 1Wash, peel and thinly slice the root vegetables. For best results, the slices should be almost paper thin, about 1/16 inch. Sprinkle the slices with about 1 tsp salt, mix and let stand for 15 minutes to extract water. The less water they contain, the better they will fry. Then rinse, and pat dry thoroughly.
- STEP 2Pour enough canola oil into a tall-sided pan to cover the bottom surface; the oil should be about 1/4 inch deep. Heat the oil on medium heat to about 350ÃÂºF (the oil will be sufficiently hot when a test slice dropped into the oil sizzles satisfyingly). With tongs and working in batches, carefully place the slices in a single layer in the pan. Fry the chips until crisp, about 3 minutes per batch, flipping with tongs occasionally. The chips are ready when slightly darkened in color and they begin to resemble wilted petals. Remove with tongs immediately and let dry completely on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve and enjoy.