Cheese Topped Fish Pie
Member recipe by collywobles
An exceptionally tasting old fashioned Fish Pie. A delight to come home to on a cold winters evening or served at a Dinner Party.
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 carrot, halved and finely chopped
- 2 good handfuls of grated mature Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 heaped tsp English mustard
- 1 large handful of flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1lb haddock (smoked) or cod fillet, skin removed, pin boned and sliced into strips
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Extra handful of grated Parmesan Cheese for Topping
- Preheat the oven to 230/Gas 8/fan oven 210C. Put the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for 2 minutes. Carefully add the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes until hard-boiled, by which time the potatoes should also At the same time, steam the spinach in a colander above the pan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remove from the colander and gently squeeze any excess moisture away. Drain the potatoes in the colander. Remove the eggs, cool under cold water, then peel and quarter. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, then add the double cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley. Put the spinach, fish and eggs into an earthenware dish and mix together, then pour over the creamy vegetable sauce.
- The cooked potatoes should be drained and mashed-add a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch to nutmeg if you like. Spread on top of the fish. Dont bother piping it to make it look pretty-its a homely, hearty thing. Sprinkle on the Parmesan Cheese topping and place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the potatoes and cheese topping are golden