Bakewell butterfly cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 1 hour cooling time
- Makes Cakes
A delicious teatime treat with buttercream icing and cherry jam.
- 115g stork margarine, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 56g sieved icing sugar
- 115g butter, softened
- a few drops almond essence
- 4 tbsp morello cherry jam
- extra icing sugar to decorate
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan) and put cake cases into a cupcake tin.
- STEP 2Cream the margarine and sugar using an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, the sifted flour and almond essence, and whisk until all combined.
- STEP 3Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12 cake cases so that they are just over half full. Smooth with the back of a spoon.
- STEP 4Bake for about 20 minutes until they are golden and have risen.
- STEP 5Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.
- STEP 6To make the buttercream, whisk together the softened butter; sieved icing sugar and drops of almond essence.
- STEP 7Once the cakes have cooled, cut a circle out of the top of each cake and set aside. Put a teaspoon of cherry jam in each hole, and then cover the top of the hole with buttercream. Cut the removed circles in half and place the two pieces on top like butterfly wings.
- STEP 8Finally, dust the cakes with a light sprinkling of icing sugar.