Member recipe by cinta0508
A delicious home cooked chilli recipe. lovely when served in a big red pepper with a side of mexican rice.
- 3-4 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red chilli deseeded or keep half with seeds if you like it spicy
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Olive oil, for frying
- 500g good quality beef mince
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 fresh tomatoes or 1 beef tomato, roughly chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 100-200ml chicken or beef stock
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of chives, chopped
- 200ml soured cream
- Boiled rice, to serve
- Sweat the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme in 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan. At the same time, brown the mince in a separate pan over moderate heat in a little oil
- Add the dried spices to the onion mixture and cook until they release their aroma. Then stir in the beef and mix well. Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes and leave to cook down a little for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken or beef stock and stir in tomato puree to taste. Drop the cinnamon and bay leaf in then bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Once the sauce is beginning to thicken add the kidney beans and leave to cook for another 5-10 minutes to allow the beans to soak up the flavours. Check for seasoning.
- Mix the chives and soured cream together. To serve, spoon the chilli into the centre of a mound of rice, with the soured cream and chives in a separate bowl on the side