Chocolate mousse cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 1/2 - 3/4 cooling time
- Serves 8
wickedly indulgent will tempt all chocoholics!
- 350g/12oz dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids), broken into small pieces.
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 300g/10oz golden caster sugar (caster sugar is just as good)
- 100g/4oz butter biscuits, or butter shortbread, broken into bitesize pieces
- TO SERVE
- 284ml carton double cream
- 225g/8oz of bluberries
- homemade vanilla ice cream
- STEP 1heat oven to 160C/fan 140/gas 3. Line and butter a 23cm springform tin. Put chocolate and butter in a pan and melt over a very low heat. Set aside. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs with the sugar for about 5mins untill the mixture is thick, pale and doubled in volume.
- STEP 2Pour the chocolate into the whisked egg mixture, then gently, but thoroughly, fold in. Add the broken biscuits, then gently fold again.
- STEP 3Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, then bake for 40-45mins until just firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for about 1/2-3/4 hr. You can serve it while still warm and the centre is still melty and gooey, as in the picture, or you can chill it (up to a day ahead) and it will be firm and fudgy enough to cut into wedges. Serve with double cream and fresh blueberries or homemade ice cream.