Babyback BBQ Ribs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 4 hours marinating
- More effort
- Serves 1
Sticky and succulent Babyback BBQ Ribs
- Whole racks of Babyback ribs
California Rancher Wild Hog Seasoning
- California Rancher Wild Hog Seasoning
California Rancher Oaky & Smoky BBQ Sauce
- Apple juice
- Brown sugar
- Cherry, apple or hickory woodchips
- STEP 1Several hours before you plan to cook, take a blunt butter knife of the end of a spoon and gently start to tease away the membrane on the bone side of the ribs. Once you have loosened a corner, use a piece of kitchen roll, grab hold and pull the whole membrane away. Lightly coat the ribs with vegetable oil and then in a large baking tray generously season with Wild Hog seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- STEP 2Smoker Method:
- STEP 3Set your BBQ to cook indirectly at a low heat or your smoker to approx 120C. Add some wood chunks or chips to the coals of your smoker or in a little tin foil pouch (pierce a few holes) if using a charcoal or gas BBQ.
- STEP 4Please the ribs onto the grill meat side up and allow to cook slowly for around 90 mins. Flip the ribs over and give them a further 60 mins.
- STEP 5Next lay out some thick tin foil and pile 2-3 racks on top. Sprinkle the meat side of each rack with with brown sugar.
- STEP 6Fold the foil into an envelope and seal up, leaving one side open. Pour in approx 50ml of apple juice, or cider then seal the pack completely.
- STEP 7Return to the grill to cook for a further hour. Remove from foil and increase the temperature of your cooker by about 30-40 degrees.
- STEP 8Cover each meat side of ribs with BBQ sauce and allow to caramelise on the grill for approx 10 mins.
- STEP 9Oven method: Instead of putting the ribs onto the BBQ grill, pre-heat the oven to around 115 C & place the ribs in a baking tray with approx 500ml of cider, apple juice or white wine.
- STEP 10Cover with foil and slow cook for around 2.5-3 hrs
- STEP 11Now set the BBQ to medium direct heat and finish the ribs as directed above with BBQ sauce.