Chocolate Marbled Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 1 and a half hours cooling time
- More effort
- Serves 12
Deliciously chocolatey and pleasant to the eyes.
- 225g butter/margarine, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 and a half teaspoons cocoa powder
- 100g dark chocolate
- Orange food colour (Optional)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas mark 4 and line a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- STEP 2Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold through the flour, milk and vanilla extract (if you are using it) until the mixture is smooth.
- STEP 3Put half the mixture into another bowl and add the cocoa powder and chocolate to one and the zest and food colour to the other. Dollop each mixture into the tin alternately.
- STEP 4When all the mix has been used up, tap the bottom to make sure there are no air bubbles. Swirl a skewer or knife around the tin in a spiral motion a few times, but not so much that it gets mixed together.
- STEP 5Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack and leave to cool then serve. Will keep for 3 days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.