Sugar Free Banana and Carob Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 cake
My husband is allergic to sugar and chocolate! After I'd recovered from this shocking turn of events, I decided to adapt my famous (in my family!) chocolate and banana cake to be made with honey and carob powder. It's very quick to make, you don't need any special equipment, and the result is moist, gently sweet, and reasonably guilt-free! You can make little tweaks as you like - a teaspoon of cinnamon, a sprinkle of sultanas. Just remember if you add in any 'wet' ingredients (such as extra fresh fruit), it may help to add in a spoon or so of extra flour.
- 150g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 150g self raising flour
- 75g carob powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3-4 very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- A few drops almond or vanilla essence (or both!)
- STEP 1Melt the butter and honey together, stirring over a low heat. Once the honey is all melted, take off the heat and let it cool.
- STEP 2Sift the flour, carob powder and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and reserve.
- STEP 3Mash the bananas in a separate bowl along with the almond and/or vanilla essence, and gently beat in the eggs. Add the butter and honey mixture (making sure it is not too hot, as that may begin to cook the eggs), and gently stir it all together.
- STEP 4Gently fold the wet banana/egg/butter mix into the dry flour/carob mix until it's all incorporated.
- STEP 5Pour the cake mix into a lightly greased and lined 18cm cake tin, and bake for around 25-30 minutes at 170C. Test it in a few places with a skewer - it's done if it comes out clean, but if you get some cake mix coming out, another 5 minutes or so. Make a cup of tea and enjoy!