- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1 hour plus 10 minutes cooling
- Serves 12
A simple, all time favorite chocolate cake that's just easy to make.
For the Cake
- 125g Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 220g Golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 160ml Water
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 50g Cocoa powder
For the Icing
- 60g Unsalted butter
- 240g Icing sugar
- 2 tsbp Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 75g Grated dark and white chocolate
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C (180C fan) an grease 2x20cm round cake tins.
- STEP 2Cream the butter and the sugar together with an electric whisk until fluffy and pale in colour. Mix in the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time until they are all mixed in. Gradually add the flour and cocoa powder, mixing slowly and adding a little water each time.
- STEP 3Divide the mixture evenly between the cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until springy to the touch. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- STEP 4Meanwhile, cream together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder with an electric whisk to form a stiff icing. Carefully whisk in the milk until glossy and paste-like. When the cakes have cooled completely and have been turned out, turn one cake upside-down and cover with half the icing then place the other cake (the right way up) onto the top of the iced cake and then cover with the rest of the icing.
- STEP 5To finish the cake, sprinkle with grated chocolate and leave to cool in the fridge to make the icing firm. Cut into 8 slices and serve with a dash of cream.