Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 5 minutes cooling time before removing cakes from the tins
- More effort
- Serves 8
Delicious chocolate cake with a rich fudge icing
175g/6 oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6 oz golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 40g/1½ oz ground almonds
- 175g/6 oz self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 40g/1½ oz cocoa powder
- 225g/8 oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 55g/2 oz dark muscovado sugar
- 225g/8 oz unsalted butter, diced
- 5 tbsp evaporated milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- STEP 1Grease two 20-cm/8-inch sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
- STEP 2To make the icing, place the chocolate, muscovado sugar, butter, evaporated milk and vanilla extract in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until melted. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until spreadable.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Place the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the golden syrup and ground almonds. Sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder into a separate bowl, then fold into the mixture. Add a little water, if necessary, to make a dropping consistency.
- STEP 4Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- STEP 5Leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. When the cakes are cold, sandwich them together with half the icing. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake.