Tasty Gluten Free Baguettes
Member recipe by lauraturnbull
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Loaves
A lovely, light, holey baguette recipe that's suitable for veggies, vegans and coeliacs! Good enough to be enjoyed even by wheat-eaters.
- 170g cornmeal (plus extra for dusting) NOTE: ensure it's gluten free
- 175g potato starch
- 155g rice flour
- 15g salt
- 2tsp yeast
- 6g psyllium husk (available online, in Asian grocers and health food stores - essential for gluten-like texture)
- 500ml water
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Mix together all the dry ingredients except the psyllium.
- Mix the psyllium and oil with the water and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- Mix the water with the flour until completely incorperated.
- Transfer the dough to a non-stick container (or oiled bowl) and cover.
- Leave to rise until at tripled (took me about 2 hrs).
- Shape into two rectangles on a baking tray covered in cornmeal.
- Preheat the oven to max (mine is a fan oven and it was 250c).
- Prove the loaves for about 30 mins while the oven heats up.
- When proved, roll the rectangles into baguettes, with the seam underneath.
- Sprinkle with cornmeal, slash a couple of times diagonally with a sharp knife or razor blade and bake for 20 mins. Do not slice until fully cooled.