30 second pulled pork
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
A great recipe for slow cooked pork shoulder - Slow cooker or BBQ !
- Pork shoulder - 2kg is a good size. Neck end, bone in is best, but if supermarket meat is all you can get, then so be it.
For the Dry Rub (makes more than needed!)
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- A few pinches of chilli flakes
For the brine
- 100ml apple juice/cider
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 2 onions
- STEP 1Bring the pork out of the fridge, and apply the dry rub all over, fat and all. Work it in well. If there is a bbq rub you like, use it! Adjust the spices to your liking!
- STEP 2Leave it for at least 1 hour!!! Chop your onions, and line the bottom of your slow cooking dish with them.
- STEP 3Timing is key here - i say 30 seconds per gram for a cut of this size, making our 2kg cut well into the 16 hour range.
- STEP 4Lift your pork into the dish, low heat. Write the time down! After around 8 hours, i'd consider draining 3/4s of the fluid off. Keep it though, it makes great stock once its skimmed !
- STEP 5DING. 16 hours later......Turn the cooker off, and LEAVE it alone for 1 hour. After that time, Remove it from the dish, and begin "pulling" the meat apart with 2 forks.
- STEP 6You can put the pulled pork back in the cooking dish with the juices at this point, until you are ready to serve. if you do, keep it on low.
- STEP 7Serve in a wrap, bread roll, or however you choose. 'Slaw is a must - Hot sauce if you like it !