- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 12
Classic spicy ginger with sweet chocolate GF Nov 12
150g butter plus extra for greasing
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 200g black treacle
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g dark chocolate broken into pieces (use 50% cocoa solids for younger palate's)
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 2 tbsp warm water
- 300g plain flour
FOR THE ICING
- FOR THE ICING
200g dark chocolate broken into pieces (use 50% cocoa solids for younger palate's)
- 100ml double cream
- STEP 1Heat oven to Gas 4 180C/160C fan. Grease a 30 x 20cm traybake or roasting tin then line with baking parchment.
- STEP 2Place butter, sugar, syrup, treacle & spices in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until melted. stir in the milk and dissolved bicarbonate of soda.
- STEP 3Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Slowly pour the melted chocolate onto the flour stirring constantly to create a smooth batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 mins.
- STEP 4The gingerbread should feel springy when touched and a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean. Let the gingerbread cool slightly in tin then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- STEP 5To make the icing put the chocolate and cream in a glass bowl then set over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does NOT touch the water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Pour the icing onto the gingerbread and smooth with a spatula. Don't cut the gingerbread until the icing has cooled completely