Galician Fish Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Delicious Spanish Fish Dish
- 24 blanched almonds (whole)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 500g thin cod fillets
- 30g butter
- STEP 1Using a pestle and mortar, pound the almonds to form a paste and put them to one side.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan and slowly cook the garlic, onions and bayloaf for 15 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the tomatoes, season and cook for 10 minutes. Add the almonds and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- STEP 3Preheat the oven to Gas 6/200C. Place the sliced potatoes in a colander. Pour boiling water over the top and and then refresh under a cold tap.
- STEP 4Pour the tomato mixture into a bowl. Line the bottom and sides of the ovenproof pan with the sliced potatoes. Fill the pan with alternating layers of tomato mixture and fish fillets.
- STEP 5Place the remaining potato slices on top. Dot with butter. Season the top and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.