Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Cocoa Chilli Chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Adding chocolate to chilli gives this dish extra depth. Excellent served with wild rice and salad or sourdough bread.
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken leg portions (cut into thigh and drumstick)
- Juice and zest of 3 oranges
- 3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried mulato chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 400g tinned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces (South American chocolate is the best)
- 25g coriander leaves to serve
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to Gas 6/200C
- STEP 2Saute the shallots and garlic in the olive oil in an ovenproof casserole dish, then add the chicken pieces. Brown on all sides. Add the orange juice and zest, fresh and dried chillies, coriander seeds, tinned tomatoes and sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Place the lid on top of the casserole dish and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- STEP 3Remove the dish from the oven. Take out the chicken pieces and stir the chocolate into the sauce. Serve chicken smothered in sauce with plenty of chopped or torn coriander leaves.