Cauli cheese & Chicken bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
A warming carb free meal with a delicious cheesy flavour, adjustable to whatever ingredients you fancy adding in! (Could be made suitable for vegetarians by using quorn chicken instead).
- Chicken breast
- Bacon rashers (optional)
- Spinach (optional)
- Cauliflower or cauliflower rice
- Cheese sauce
- Grated cheddar cheese
- STEP 1If using bacon, get 2 rashers (for one portion or multiply this for more portions), fry these enduring they are cooked but not too crispy. These are what I use to line an oven proof dish so once cooked place these flat at bottom of dish. Dice chicken into small pieces, sprinkle with some chicken seasoning and fry these on a medium heat until they are white all the way through.
- STEP 2Boil broccoli on the hob until it’s cooked but not too soft. If using cauliflower, cook this at the same time and leave it to the side. Then chop this up into small pieces. Sprinkle a very light layer of grated cheese over the bacon in the dish. Now add the diced broccoli and chicken on top of the bacon, leaving a little bit of chicken left.
- STEP 3In a pan with some fry light or oil, cook a bit of finely chopped onion, in with the spinach and a bit of garlic for flavour. When this is all cooked, add it all in on top of the bake. Then add the remaining chicken pieces on top of the bake.
- STEP 4Now make up your cheese sauce mix, I use a quick version; Colman’s cheese sauce powder and the instructions are on the packet which is made up in no time. If you used cauliflower this will already be cooked, chop it up into really small pieces and mix it in with the cheese sauce. If using cauliflower rice, it will be ready to mix in with the sauce after cooking it. Once this is all mixed in, pour it on top of the bake in the oven proof dish. Finish by adding a generous sprinkle of grated cheese (I used low fat cheddar) and then bake it in the oven on a medium heat for 15/20 mins until the top is nice and brown/crispy.