Australian Water Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 Cake
Lightly spiced fruit cake which is rich without being dense. A great alternative to a traditional Christmas cake.
- 150g Currants
- 150g Sultanas
- 150g Raisins
- 200g Glacé Cherries
- 115g Granulated Sugar
- 115g Butter
- 240ml Water (Or Rum)
- 3 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 230g Self-Raising Flour
- STEP 1Place the fruit, sugar, butter, water, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into a large saucepan
- STEP 2Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 3Leave to cool.
- STEP 4Pre-heat oven to 160°C, (140°C Fan), Gas Mark 3.
- STEP 5When almost cold add eggs and stir in self-raising flour.
- STEP 6Grease and line a 24cm cake tin. Pour in mixture.
- STEP 7Place a bowl of water in the bottom of the oven. Put cake into oven and bake for 1 hour.
- STEP 8Cover the cake with baking parchment to prevent burning and bake for a further 30mins or until a skewer comes out clean.