Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Coconut and Squash Dhansak
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Healthy and tasty vegan curry
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 500 grams of butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2 centimetre chunks
- 2 white onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons of mild curry paste
- 1 x 400 gram tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 gram tin of coconut milk
- 1 x 400 gram tin of lentils
- 200 grams of spinach
- 150 millilitres of coconut yoghurt
- 1 naan bread
- STEP 1Begin by putting the chopped squash in a bowl with splash of water. Cover this with cling film and microwave for 10 minutes. This should steam the squash and it will quickly become tender. If you prefer, you can also roast the squash in the oven at a medium-high heat for 35 minutes.
- STEP 2While the squash is cooking, heat oil in a large pan and add the onions. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft before adding the curry paste, tomatoes and coconut milk. Let this simmer for 10 minutes until it has thickened into a rich and moreish sauce.
- STEP 3Drain any liquid from the microwaved squash (ignore this step if you have roasted the squash). Add the squash to the sauce with the lentils, spinach and any seasoning it requires. Allow the spinach to wilt in the sauce and then mix in the coconut yoghurt to add some added creaminess.
- STEP 4Serve the curry with toasted naan bread and a dollop of extra yoghurt on the side.