chocolate bread & butter pud
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 24 hours setting time in the fridge
- Serves 6
A family favourite for all ages. A wonderful variation on the traditional bread and pudding...don't expect left-overs, there will be none once this rich, heavenly pudding is served.
- 9 slices thick white bread
- 5 oz (150g) dark chocolate, 75% cocoa
- 15 fl oz (425ml) whipping cream
- 4tbsp dark rum (optional)
- 4 oz (110g) caster sugar
- 3 oz (75g) butter
- 3 eggs
- TO SERVE
- double cream
- shallow ovenproof dish, 7x9 inches (18x23cm) base x 2 inches (5cm) deep, lightly buttered
- STEP 1Remove the crusts from the slices of bread. Cut each slice into 4 triangles.
- STEP 2Place the chocolate, whipping cream, rum (if using), sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- STEP 3When the butter and chocolate have melted and the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and stir.
- STEP 4In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and pour over the chocolate mixture. Whisk again to blend them together.
- STEP 5Spoon 1cm layer of the chocolate mixture into the base of the dish and arrange half the bread triangles over the chocolate in overlapping rows. Pour half the remaining chocolate mixture over the bread as evenly as possible. Using a fork, press the bread gently down so that it is covered evenly with the liquid.
- STEP 6Cover the dish with clingfilm and allow to stand at room temp for 2 hours before transferring to fridge for 24 hours.
- STEP 7Preheat oven to gas mark 4, 180degrees celsius. Remove clingfilm and bake in oven for 30-35 mins, until top is crunchy and inside is soft and squidgy. Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving with double cream.