Butternut Squash Soup
Member recipe by caaaath
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- around 1 pint of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Chop the squash in half, lengthways. Remove the seeds then chop the squash into chunks, leaving the skin on. Peel the potatoes and the onion, then chop these into chunks as well.
- Put the squash, potatoes, onion and garlic (with skin on) into a large roasting tin. Drizzle oil over the vegetables and sprinkle the cumin, salt and pepper all over. Roast for around 20 minutes at about 200 degrees.
- Take the softened vegetables out of the oven and remove the garlic skins. Place the roasted veg (and skinless garlic) into a food processor and whizz them up while gradually adding the chicken stock, until you get a tasty mush of vegetables.
- Transfer the puree to a saucepan and warm it through. You can add more stock/water if you like a runny soup, or you can boil off some of the stock already added if you like it thicker.
- You could serve this with some crusty bread, creme fraiche, some chopped spring onions and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.