Vegan chai hot chocolate
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 350ml oat milk (use barista-style for a creamy texture)
- 1 tsp organic cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve (optional)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 cardamom pod
- ½ tsp ground coffee
- 1 organic vanilla bean pod, split (or use 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- vegan whipped cream and shaved semi-sweet vegan dark chocolate, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Pour two-thirds of the oat milk into a saucepan. Add the cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom pod and coffee. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Cook for 1-2 mins.
- STEP 2
Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the vanilla and agave. Froth the remaining oat milk using an electric milk frother or the mini whisk attachment on a hand blender. Strain the hot chocolate into two mugs, discarding the cinnamon and cardamom pod, then gently pour in the frothed milk.
- STEP 3
Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and a pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg, if you like.