Vegan beetroot & quinoa burgers
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus sitting
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g quinoa, cooked
- 2 large cooked beetroot (150g), finely grated and liquid reserved
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseed
- ½ small bunch of coriander, plus a few leaves to serve
For the salad
- 25ml beetroot preserving liquid
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 100g low-fat soy yogurt
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g rocket
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put 1 tbsp of the rapeseed oil in a small frying pan and tip in the onion, cumin and garlic, then fry over a medium heat for 8 mins until softened and golden. Tip into a bowl. Add the cooked quinoa, beetroot, flour, flaxseed and coriander, and mix until combined. Season lightly. Leave to sit for 5 mins to bind.
- STEP 2
Divide the mixture into four – it will be quite loose – then, using wet hands, shape them into patties. Put the burgers on a lined baking tray and put in the oven for 15 mins. Turn them over and cook for another 10 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. Whisk together the beetroot liquid, lemon juice, yogurt and oil, and season.
- STEP 4
To serve, pile the rocket onto plates and place a burger on top. Drizzle over the dressing and scatter over the extra coriander.