Tutti frutti Christmas pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus soaking
- Makes 18-24
For the filling
- 50g ready-to-eat dried apricot , finely chopped
- 25g pecan , finely chopped
- 30g pitted dried date , finely chopped
- 50g sweetened dried cranberries , roughly chopped
- 2 medium Granny Smiths , peeled, cored and very finely chopped or grated
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g butter , melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp cherry brandy or orange juice
For the pastry
For the topping
- STEP 1
To make the filling put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well together. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- STEP 2
To make the pastry put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and using the pulse button, process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 8-9 tsp’s cold water and process until the mixture forms a dough.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thickness and cut out rounds big enough to fully line your tart tin. Fill each tart with a heaped teaspoonful of the fruit mixture. Roll out the marzipan and using a 4cm round cutter, stamp out 18 rounds. Place one on each of the tarts. Bake in the oven for about 12–15 mins until crisp and golden brown. Sprinkle with icing or caster sugar before serving warm.