Tomato & mozzarella salad with tomato dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 2
Enjoy this super-quick tomato and mozzarella salad as a side dish, or add some sliced avocado for a filling lunch. Top with basil leaves and crushed crostini for extra flavour and texture
- 200g mixed heritage tomatoes , sliced
- 1 large shallot , sliced into thin rings
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 drops of Tabasco
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (muscatel is good)
- 6 basil leaves , shredded, plus extra small leaves to serve
- 4 shop-bought crostini , roughly crushed
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella , or burrata if you can find it (about 150g), halved
- STEP 1
Put the tomatoes in a bowl with the shallots and season with a large pinch of salt. Leave for 10 mins for the tomatoes to release their juices.
- STEP 2
Lift the tomatoes and shallots out of the bowl using a slotted spoon, and reserve the juices. Arrange the tomatoes over two plates, then sprinkle over the shallots.
- STEP 3
Whisk the olive oil, Tabasco and vinegar into the reserved tomato juices to make a dressing. Drizzle over the tomatoes and shallots, then scatter with the shredded basil and crushed crostini. Put one half of the mozzarella in the centre of each plate, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Top with the extra basil leaves, and serve.