- 600g small new potatoes (I used red-skinned Roseval)
- 396g pack firm tofu , drained and pressed (see tip)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
- 2 lemons , both zested, 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
- 50g panko or coarse dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil , for frying
- 100g bag watercress or rocket
For the salsa verde
- STEP 1
Steam or boil the potatoes for 20 mins or until tender. Cut the pressed tofu into 4 rectangles, then splice each rectangle in half, like cutting a deck of cards. Lay the slices on a plate and sprinkle over the soy sauce. Set aside for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. Put the garlic, basil, capers, oil and sugar into a food processor with 3 tbsp lemon juice. Pulse until roughly chopped. Stir in the olives and season with pepper and a little salt.
- STEP 3
Put the flour on a plate and season with pepper. On another plate, mix the Parmesan and lemon zest into the breadcrumbs. Beat the egg, mustard and 2 tsp water in a wide bowl. Pat 1 slice of tofu in the flour, then dip into the egg and coat with the breadcrumbs. Set aside. Repeat process until all the tofu is coated.
- STEP 4
Heat the vegetable oil in a wide frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the tofu gently until golden brown, about 5 mins each side. Slice into finger-width strips with a serrated knife, then mix together with the watercress and potatoes. Spoon over the salsa verde, drizzle over a little extra olive oil, and serve with lemon wedges on the side.