Thai green chicken soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 500g pack skinless chicken thigh fillets, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- 285g jar Thai green curry paste
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 ¾l chicken stock
- 5 lime leaves
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions , the white sliced on the diagonal and the green finely chopped
- 280g pack fine green bean , trimmed and halved
- 150g pack bamboo shoot
- juice 2 limes , plus wedges to serve
- small bunch basil
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in your largest pan, add the onion and fry for 3 mins to soften. Add the chicken and garlic, and cook until the chicken changes colour.
- STEP 2
Add the curry paste, coconut milk, stock, lime leaves and fish sauce, then simmer for 12 mins. Add the chopped onion tops, green beans and bamboo shoots and cook for 4-6 mins, until the beans are just tender.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, put the lime juice and basil in a narrow jug and blitz with a hand blender to make a smooth green paste. Pour into the soup with the sliced spring onion and heat through. Serve with lime wedges for a light lunch or supper or as a make-ahead starter.