Sweet & hot vegetable curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp Vindaloo curry paste (we liked Patak's Vindaloo with tamarind paste)
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- juice ½ lemon
- 2 courgettes , thickly sliced
- 300g cauliflower florets (about ½ a head)
- 400ml passata
- 400g can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 250g bag fresh leaf spinach , washed
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the curry paste and fry for 1 min. Add the sugar and lemon juice, cook for 1 min, then tip in the courgettes and cauliflower and cook for 2 mins. Now stir in the passata, plus 100ml/3½fl oz water and the chickpeas, season to taste. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 mins. Make up to this stage and freeze or keep chilled for 2 days in the fridge. Warm through, once defrosted if frozen, and continue with the recipe.
- STEP 2
Just before serving, throw in the spinach, give it a stir and remove from the heat once the leaves have just wilted. Serve with boiled basmati rice.