Spicy potato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
- 2 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- knob of butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 large baking potatoes , cut into roughly 1cm cubes
- 500ml milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 - 2 tsp mango chutney (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (optional)
- STEP 1
Warm the oil and butter together in a saucepan and add the chopped onion. Cover with a lid and cook over a medium heat for a few mins before adding the curry powder. Add the potato and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins.
- STEP 2
Pour the milk and 500ml water over the potatoes, then sprinkle in the vegetable stock cube. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 mins until the potatoes are completely tender. Season with a pinch of salt and blitz in a blender until smooth. For a slightly sweet touch, add the mango chutney, a teaspoon at a time to suit your taste, liquidising until smooth. Divide the soup into bowls, finishing with the coriander leaves if you have them.