Spicy chicken with rice & beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 2 hrs marinating
- Serves 2
- 515g pack skinless, boneless chicken thigh (6 thighs)
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- generous pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 250g passata
- 100ml chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 red, orange or yellow pepper , deseeded and roughly chopped
- 175g basmati rice
- 400g can kidney bean , drained and rinsed
- few tbsp low-fat natural yogurt , to serve
- STEP 1
Cut 2-3 slashes in each chicken thigh, sprinkle the spices over and turn to coat. If you have time, cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 2 hrs, or overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 2
Heat half the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 4 mins. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 secs more. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- STEP 3
Add the remaining oil to the pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Cook over a medium heat until the sugar begins to caramelise. When it turns dark brown, add the chicken and cook for 4 mins, turning. Pour in the passata, stock and vinegar, then add the pepper, onion and garlic. Season and stir. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, put the rice in a saucepan, cover with water and add salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 10-12 mins. Drain and return half to the pan with half the kidney beans, then cover. (Run the other half of the rice under cold water, drain and leave until cold, then mix with the remaining kidney beans. Chill in a container for Thursday’s recipe.).
- STEP 5
Serve the chicken with the rice and beans, and spoonfuls of natural yogurt.