Spicy chicken fried rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A clever mix of basmati and wild rice gives this superhealthy chicken dish a wonderfully nutty bite
- 300g mixed basmati and wild rice
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 skinless chicken breasts , thinly sliced
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- good pinch chilli flakes
- handful coriander , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red peppers , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 400g can kidney bean , rinsed and drained
- bunch spring onions , thinly sliced
- STEP 1
Put the rice into a saucepan, cover with water, crumble in the stock cube, then bring to the boil. Stir the rice once, then simmer for about 20 mins until tender. Drain well.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, toss the chicken in the spices and coriander. Heat a pan, add the oil, tip in the peppers, then stir-fry for 3 mins until starting to soften. Add the chicken, then fry until golden, about 5 mins. Add the rice, beans and spring onions, then warm through.
Mixed basmati and wild rice is available in most supermarkets. We used Tilda Basmati & Wild Rice.