Spicy chicken cacciatore
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken leg portions, skin on
- 2 red peppers , deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium red chilli , deseeded and sliced
- glass red wine (about 175ml/6fl oz)
- ½ quantity tomato sauce (see 'Goes well with')
- 1-2 handfuls black olives
- chopped flatleaf parsley , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat the oil in a deep, ovenproof roasting pan that’s big enough to fit the chicken in a single layer. Season the chicken pieces all over, then place the pan on the hob and cook on a medium heat for 7-10 mins on each side until well browned. Scoop out the chicken with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- STEP 2
Add the peppers and chilli to the pan (there should still be plenty of fat left in it) and cook for 10 mins until soft and beginning to brown at the edges. Pour away any excess fat, then pour in the wine and stir well for 1-2 mins as it bubbles up. Tip the tomato sauce into the pan and stir again. Add a little water (up to 150ml) to achieve a thick, pouring consistency. Nestle the chicken into the sauce and scatter with the olives. Cover, bake for 30 mins, then uncover and cook for 15-20 mins more to allow the chicken to crisp up. Spoon off any fat that has risen to the surface, scatter with parsley and serve with some rice, mashed potato or polenta.