Spiced rice & beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Mary's version of the Indian dish, kitchari, is a great storecupboard supper, delicious as a main or a side
- 200g basmati rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2cm piece ginger , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 green chilli , finely chopped
- 1 tsp each cumin and mustard seeds
- 400g can black-eyed bean / peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds , plain or toasted
- STEP 1
Rinse the rice several times in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain well. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and ginger and fry for 5 mins until the onion is lightly coloured. Stir in the garlic, chilli, cumin and mustard seeds, and fry for 1 min.
- STEP 2
Tip the rice and beans into the pan and mix well. Add 600ml water, the bay, cinnamon stick, turmeric and a little salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and gently cook for about 15 mins until the rice is tender. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve with a tomato salad or Tomato cooler.
Mix together 300g chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp grated ginger, ½ finely chopped red onion and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Add a little salt, stir and serve.