- 1 red cabbage (about 1kg), sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 large eating apples, each sliced into six wedges
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 50g butter
- 100ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 300ml alcoholic ginger beer
- ½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 star anise
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- STEP 1
Heat the slow cooker to low. Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and add a good grinding of black pepper and 1 tsp salt. Stir well, then cook for 5 hrs.
- STEP 2
Remove the lid, turn the slow cooker to high and cook for a further 1 hr to reduce the liquid slightly. Taste for seasoning and serve in a warmed bowl.