- 1 sourdough loaf (350-400g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying and drizzling
- 150ml chicken stock
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, halved through the centre, washed and sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 6-8 sausages (400g)
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- small bunch of rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 4 sage leaves, finely chopped plus 4 whole leaves to serve
- 1 large egg
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tear the bread into chunks, tip into a roasting tin and toss in the oil. Roast for 10-15 mins until crisp. Pour over the stock, then leave to cool.
- STEP 2
Heat the butter and a drop of oil in a pan. Cook the leeks and onions over a low-medium heat for 15 mins until soft and starting to caramelise. Stir in the fennel seeds. Leave to cool.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Squeeze the sausage meat from the skins into a bowl. Add the apples, herbs, egg, leek and onion mix, and a grinding of black pepper. Combine everything well with your hands. Mix in the bread and press into a roasting tin. Drizzle the sage leaves with oil and press onto the stuffing. Bake for 30 mins until golden.