Spiced coconut porridge with cranberry & orange compote
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 175g porridge oat
- 700ml milk
- 400ml can low-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- good grating of nutmeg , plus extra to serve
- 160ml can coconut cream, plus shaved toasted coconut, to serve
For the compote
- 3 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 3 oranges , peeled and sliced
- 250g fresh or frozen cranberry
- STEP 1
Mix the oats, milk, coconut milk, sugar, spices and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Set over a low heat and cook for about 20 mins, stirring every now and then to prevent the porridge from sticking, until it’s thick and creamy – add a splash more milk if you like it thinner.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, prepare the compote. Put the sugar and 2 tbsp water in a frying pan and heat to dissolve the sugar. Once bubbling, add the oranges and cranberries. Stir, then turn up the heat and leave to bubble for a few mins until most of the liquid evaporates and the compote becomes thick and sticky.
- STEP 3
To serve, spoon the porridge into bowls, top with the orange & cranberry compote, a swirl of coconut cream, some shaved coconut and an extra grating of nutmeg.