- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- small bunch basil, leaves shredded, stalks finely chopped
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 3 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- 150g crusty stale bread (sourdough works well), torn
- grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative, to serve
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
Heat the oil in a non-stick casserole dish or saucepan. Add the garlic cloves and basil stalks and fry for 1 min. Tip in the chopped tomatoes, a canful of water and the sugar and season to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 mins.
Stir the bread through the soup to create a thick, stew-like consistency, then stir in most of the basil leaves. Ladle into bowls, finish with parmesan and some extra basil.